It’s hard to walk through a grocery store without seeing a “fat-free” option for every food out there. It’s even harder to imagine a time where that wasn’t the case.
It wasn’t until the 1980s that people began believing that they could eat whatever they want as long as “fat-free” was on the label.
The truth is your body can benefit greatly from the right kinds of fat, which you can get from a variety of foods including nuts, salmon, coconuts, olive oil, and certain yogurts.
Did we forget to mention avocados?
Avocados are the perfect example of a high-fat food that’s delicious, healthy, and frankly, kind of addicting (in the best possible way). They also provide the basis for one of our favorite dishes, guacamole.
You can play off avocados’ high-fat substance and combine it with other superfoods to create a flavorful and healthy meal.
We’ve provided a recipe for a tasty guacamole dip that’s full of flavor, and best of all, easy to make.
NOT-JUST-GUACAMOLE AVOCADO DIP
• 3 large avocados
• 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
• 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
• 1/4 cup black beans
• 1/4 cup corn
• 1/2 cup diced red onion
• 2 tablespoons lime juice
• Salt and pepper (to taste)
• Hot sauce of choice (optional)
1. Combine the avocados, Greek yogurt, and cilantro in a food processor. Blend the ingredients until they have a smooth consistency.
2. Pour the mixture into a large bowl and add in black beans, corn, and red onions.
3. Once the ingredients are fully combined, add lime juice and a small dash of salt and pepper to taste. If you're feeling wild, add a couple tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce.
You can use this as a dip for healthy snacks such as celery, carrots or our Ips Sea Salt and Black Pepper chips.
As you can see, it’s possible to indulge in your favorite snacks while still maintaining a healthy diet. The best part is you’ll feel great after you eat, avoiding any of the side effects that come with foods high in the wrong kind of fat.
We want to know how you’ve health hacked your favorite dishes, leave your favorite recipes in the comments section so that others can try them out.