Our friend Amanda at Recipes Worth Repeating happens to be a gluten-free recipe master so when we sought out someone to create a tasty Fall recipe with our ips Perfect Cinnamon chips, we knew she would nail it.
These gluten-free cookies, that Amanda created from scratch, are topped with mini chocolate chips and a layer of velvety cream cheese. They are easy to make which means baking turns into a great activity with kids, especially when the weather turns a little yucky later in the Fall.
Amanda has a few special tips for the best way to make these cookies.- Grab the 5-ounce bag of ips Churro Cinnamon Chips.
- Don’t skip the “chilling of the cookie dough” step. Make sure your cookie dough is stiff enough to form into balls.
- There is only 1 teaspoon of cream cheese filling between the cookies. If you like a lot of cream cheese filling, increase it to 1 Tablespoon.
- Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Flour and Rice Flour was used for this recipe.
Churro Cinnamon Pumpkin Cookies Recipe
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 14 mins
Total Time: 34 mins
Cookie Dough Ingredients
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Unsalted Butter, softened
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
2 Tablespoons Pumpkin Puree
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Rice Flour
1/2 cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
4 cups ips Churro Cinnamon Chips, crumbled and divided
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon, ground
1/2 cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips, optional for topping
Cream Cheese Filling Ingredients
4 ounces Cream Cheese, softened
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2. Add the softened unsalted butter and brown sugar to a large mixing bowl. I use my KitchenAid when making these cookies, but you can use an electric mixer. Mix on a medium-high speed until creamed.
- 3. Next, you're going to add in the pumpkin puree, eggs, and vanilla. Beat well into the butter and brown sugar mixture. After mixing the wet ingredients, set aside.
- 4. Take a 5-ounce bag of Churro Cinnamon chips, put them into a large Ziplock bag and start to crush them using a rolling pin. You want to end up with 4 cups total of crushed Churro Cinnamon chips.
- 5. You're going to add only 1/2 cup of crushed Churro Cinnamon chips to the dry mixture. Place the rest of the crushed chip mixture aside until later in the process.
- 6. Add the 1/2 cup of the crushed chips into the wet mixture, along with the baking soda, salt, rice flour, gluten-free all-purpose flour, and cinnamon.
- 7. Lower wire whisk attachment and mix well until the batter becomes a dough like consistency. It's important to note that the consistency of the batter is going to be wet.
- 8. Next, you'll want to scrape the cookie dough from the mixing bowl into a separate bowl, cover with a lid and then place in the freezer for about 45 minutes to 1 hour. The dough needs to harden a bit before you roll the cookies into balls.
- 9. While your dough is getting firm in the freezer, wash your KitchenAid mixing bowl and wire whisk attachment so you can start making your cream cheese filling.
- 10. Take 4 ounces of softened cream cheese, vanilla and brown sugar, and place into the mixing bowl.
- 11. Add on the wire whisk attachment and beat on medium speed until all ingredients are well mixed together. Scrape the cream cheese mixture into a separate bowl and place in the refrigerator for 45 minutes to chill and harden.
- 12. When the Churro Cinnamon Pumpkin dough is chilled and of a hardened consistency, take it out of the freezer. Grab the chilled cream cheese mixture from the fridge. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- 13. Take your leftover crushed Churro Cinnamon chips and place them in a flat dish. Using a small cookie scoop or a spoon, scoop out 2 balls. Take 1 teaspoon of cream cheese mixture and place in the center of one of the balls. Then, you're going to flatten another ball of dough and carefully lay it on top.
- 14. Press down the balls until it flattens into a cookie shape. The next steps is to place the cookie in the crushed Churro Cinnamon crumbs on both sides until it's covered and evenly coated with the cookie crumbs.
- 15. Place the flattened cookies onto the cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. If you're like me and want a bit of a chocolate kick, add a Tablespoon of mini chocolate chips on the top of each cookie.
- 16. Place the cookies in a 350 degree Fahrenheit pre-heated oven and cook for 14-16 minutes.17. Let the Churro Cinnamon Pumpkin Cookies with Cream Cheese completely cool before eating. I typically let these cookies cool for 20 minutes on a wire cooling rack.